Caol Ila from Gaelic means "strait Ayla." The factory was founded in 1846 by Hector Henderson in one of the most beautiful and wild places of the West of Scotland - on the northern part of the island of Islay, on the beach, overlooking the strait between the islands of Islay and Jura. The place was not chosen by chance - next to the lime-rich crystal clear lake Loch Nam Ban, which provides the main supply of water. Despite the constant change of owners, the plant worked almost constantly, except for the period from 1930 to 1937 and during the Second World War. In 1927, the Distillers Company Limited acquired a controlling stake in Caol Ila and in 1930 Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd has received ownership of all shares. The company eventually became part of Diageo. To meet the increased demand for blended whiskey, the plant has been completely renovated between 1972 and 1974. All buildings were destroyed and rebuilt (except warehouses) in the same architectural style as the original, but large in size, and are equipped with the best equipment. Instead of two, was established six new copper pot stills in the form of bulbs that mimic the old, which guarantees the distinctive quality whiskey Caol Ila. Distillation apparatus wash stills holds 18,000 liters and spirit stills - 14000 liters. In connection with the modernization, Caol Ila started to buy malt malt house in central Port Ellen. Germinated barley (malt) is dried hot smoke from burning peat, thus obtaining a "smoked grain", resulting in a distinctive smoky whiskey iodine-peat flavor. Caol Ila is the largest plant in Islay. Despite the large volume of production - 3.8 million liters per year, the plant employs only 11 people. Billy Stichell - Hereditary manager, managing Caol Ila has for many years supported the tradition of his father, grandfather and great-grandfather. The result of their craft and skill - quiet single malt whiskey with the scent of sea air dry and pleasant smoky smoothness.